Thursday, June 11, 2009

Microscopic Progress is STILL Progress...

"Do not fear growing slowly, so long as you are not standing still."

I am so excited about one of my students with autism and her progress with piano lessons. Now a regular teacher who is used to "normal" students may look at the months of lessons with this student and would probably say to me one of two things: "Wow, you're a bad teacher." or "This doesn't seem to be going anywhere, why bother?"

Thank goodness I'm not such a teacher and having experience with students with autism, I can recognize small small changes in their behavior or ability that signal amazing progress to me and to the parents.

The achievement I am bragging on her behalf about is that, although she hasn't learned "notes" yet (only letters) nor really learned her first song well in a couple of months, this amazing (and very positive and intelligent) girl has made a big transition on a couple of songs. I can now ask her to look at the paper herself and press the letters she sees without me pointing at each individual letter. And she gets it 95% right most of the time! (Sometimes her finger lands on the wrong key or she skips a letter.) But to me this is a FANTASTIC step in the right direction. It shows me that she can focus long enough visually and coordinate her hands with her eyes correctly to get through a song like Mary Had a Little Lamb. This creates independence and will allow her to practice on her own, not relying on an adult to point the way.

So I just wanted to share this wonderful experience with anyone who may think of teaching piano to children with autism. It's a reminder that you have to take them as individuals who show progress in their own unique way and the best teachers are super-attuned to it when it does happen. The worst is when such a student is trying their hardest (and making microscopic progress) but the teacher gives up and moves on to students that are more teachable.

2 comments:

  1. It is clear to me that you have a talent for working with kids who process and assimilate new information in their own time and in their own unique ways. You obviously know how to connect with them and provide the kind of support and guidance that is essential to putting them on the path towards growth and independence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey There. I found your blog using msn. This is a very well written article. I’ll be sure to bookmark it and come back to read more of your useful info. Thanks for the post. I’ll definitely return. zongoraoktatas

    ReplyDelete